When you are looking for information about college education, English courses or the citizenship exam in the United States, you need to know that every child has the right to attend a public school during the years of compulsory education. This was established by the Supreme Court in 1982.

However, things are different when it comes to college education. Many states allow undocumented immigrants to pay the same fees as legal residents, but some others do not.

Still, it is important to note that even without a legal status, it is possible to study at community colleges or to apply for scholarships at elite universities in the United States.

Studying English is a must do as it is very important to speak, understand, read and write the language to develop economic relations and open all sorts of doors in the U.S.

Where to Learn?

A great place to do it is at a public library. Many of these libraries offer free classes to immigrants. Here is a list of the states where you can find them:

  • California: California Adult Schools
  • Florida: El Sol Center
  • New York Public Library
  • Massachusetts: Immigrant Learning Center
  • Texas: Literacy Advance in Houston

Courses on Citizenship 

In order to prepare for the test of English and civics, there are organizations throughout the United States that offer this free service.

To find them, you can use the USCIS search engine. You just need to fill the zip code of the area where you would like to the course.


If you arrive in the U.S. on a tourist visa, you cannot study. Breaking the law has serious consequences.

You can also read – “Getting Married on a Tourist Visa”