Before issuing any documents, the immigration service will always certify that a marriage is not for convenience.

The immigration officers can ask whatever they want, but usually their questions are very similar to the following:

  • Where did you meet?
  • At what point of your friendship did you realize that you wanted to be engaged? Where did the wedding take place? How many people were invited?
  • Describe the ceremony and the reception. Was there anything out of the ordinary?
  • What was served to eat and drink?

Regarding questions about life in common, they could be as follows:

  • Who wakes up first in the morning? What time?
  • Where do you keep your winter clothes? What is your husband’s / wife’s favorite food? What food does your husband / wife detest?
  • What was the last movie you watched together?
  • What color are the curtains of each room in the house?
  • What is your husband’s / wife’s pajamas like?
  • On which side of the bed do you sleep?
  • If any anti contraception method is used, which one?
  • Which magazines do you read or have you subscribed to?
  • Do you live in a house or an apartment?
  • How much do you pay for the rent or mortgage?
  • Do you have pets? What are their names? Who walks them and takes them to the vet?

Regarding family, the questions could be similar to the following:

  • How often do you visit your in-laws?
  • How do you get along with your in-laws?
  • Have you got them gifts? Have they given you presents?
  • If you have children, who raises them?
  • Who prepares their meals most of the time?
  • What is their favorite toy?

Problems That May Arise

If immigration believes it is a fake marriage, there will be serious consequences.

If a citizen or a resident comes to the conclusion that his or her partner married him or her only to get legal papers, he or she can denounce his or her partner or cancel the procedures to get the residence before their end.

Divorce can have important migratory effects. That is why you have to think about the possible consequences first.


If the citizen or resident is abusive with his or her spouse, the immigrant should consult an immigration lawyer, e.g. VAWA for victims of domestic violence.