One of the states where undocumented immigrants are allowed to drive is Illinois. This driver’s license is called “Temporary Visitor Driver’s License” (TVDL).

What Do You Need?

Here are the requirements and steps:

First step:

Gather the necessary documentation, this means that you need to prove the following information:

  1. Name and date of birth
  2. Veracity of your signature. In order to verify your signature, one of the following documents is used:
  • Cooperative Driver Certificate
  • Mortgage Contract
  • Installment loan contract
  • ID issued by the Federal government of the United States or a state or an official local agency
  • Driver’s license from another state that has not expired
  • A court order where your signature appears
  • Valid passport
  • Consular card
  • Credit card like Amex, Visa or Master Card
  • Mexican electoral card
  1. Current address. You have to prove that you have lived in your current home for at least 90 days (three months) prior to the day the application for the appointment of a driver’s license is made. In order to do this, it is mandatory to submit two of the following documents:
  • School or college report card
  • A letter from a university or college
  • A letter from an official institution of the federal, state, county or local government
  • Lease
  • House mortgage or purchase contract
  • Declaration of pensions or retirement
  • Bank statement
  • Medical bills or statements of health benefits
  • Utility bills (water, waste, gas, electricity, telephone or cable)
  • College tuition
  • Insurance policy as a homeowner or tenant
  • Homestead exemption receipt
  • Credit report issued by Equifax, Transunion or Experia
  • Consular card
  • Selective Service Card
  • Certified school transcripts
  1. Residence in the state of Illinois for at least twelve months. You have to prove that he has lived in Illinois for at least twelve months (one year) before applying for the license. If you’ve been living in the same house for more than a year, you can use the electricity bill as proof. To avoid misunderstandings, bring both an old and a recent bill to the appointment.
  2. Renaming, if any, such as in cases of marriage
  3. It is mandatory to have one of the following documents: valid passport, consular card from Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala or Mexico or any other country whose consulate issues a consular card.

Second step: Make an appointment.

Third step: Prepare the documents for the appointment and study for the test.

Step four: Get the license.