The K-1 visa is intended for the American citizens’ fiancés who plan to marry in the United States after living in that country. To apply for it, in addition to meeting other requirements, the applicant must attend an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

This interview is mandatory and if you do not attend it, your entry into the United States will be denied.

After receiving the visa, the applicant has a maximum of 90 days to get married, and to start the procedures to adjust his or her status. Once this is done, the applicant may apply for a Green Card.

What Could I Be Asked in This Interview?

  • Questions about the relationship.
  • How, when and where you and your fiancé(e) met.
  • Why you want to get married and why you want to live in the United States. What your plans in the U.S. are.
  • If you want to have children or not.
  • What hobbies and likes you have in common and what you enjoy doing together.
  • How you solve your relationship problems.
  • What you like the most about your fiancé(e).
  • What the marriage proposal was like. If there was a formal engagement party or betrothal.
  • The foreign fiancé(e) will be asked questions about his/her American partner: date of birth, address, place of birth, occupation, etc.
  • If you have previously been to the United States, for how long and on which type of visa.
  • If the fiancés do not have the same religion: you may be asked how you intend to solve any issues related to your different beliefs.
  • Questions about the family of the American fiancé, like how many siblings he/she has or where his/her parents live.
  • If you both do not communicate in the same language fluently, you will probably be asked questions about it.
  • When you last saw each other in person.
  • Your wedding plans.
  • If you have already booked the place for the banquet.
  • Which date.
  • Who the guests are.
  • The officer may also ask you to show him/her the invitation card or any other evidence to prove that you are actually planning your wedding.



Both fiancés have to attend the interview at the American embassy or consulate on the day and at the time that was previously set. This interview will be held, of course, in the foreign fiancé(e)’s country.

If the foreigner does not marry the person who sponsored the visa, the former must leave the United States.

No question is particularly strange. As long as the couple involved is genuinely in love, there should not be any major problems.