Through marriage, it is possible to obtain permanent residency or green card. This is one of the fastest ways to do it.

Below you will find some things to take into consideration when seeking permanent residency through marriage:

  1. Who can request residency for their spouse?

The residency may be requested by American citizens (including Puerto Ricans). That is, both residents of the island as well as residents of each of the 50 states.

Applications may be filled by both heterosexual marriages as well as by marriages between people of the same sex.

  1. It must not be a fake marriage

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) knows that there are marriages of convenience and, thus, their personnel is trained to detect them.

  1. Having sufficient income in order to sponsor

An affidavit of support must be issued in order to prove that you have sufficient economic resources to support your life as a couple.

  1. Green Cards are not always granted

Even if your marriage with a U.S. citizen or with a U.S. resident is a legal one, it does not mean that you will be granted a Green card. There are approximately 42 reasons by which a Green Card may not be granted.

  1. The process of application for residency through marriage

If the foreign spouse lives outside of the United States, the procedure will take place at a Consulate. In the country, if they are already in the U.S., they will have to request a change of status.