Nowadays, the parents of an American citizen who’s not 21 years old yet don’t have any rights regarding immigration.

The statement is very clear and doesn’t allow misinterpretation. You don’t have the right to stay in the United States or to get a visa for the mere fact of being the father or the mother of a child who’s American.

What if I return to my country with my American child?

As a parent, you don’t have the right to get any visa or residence permit through the child. You may make an application, but you’ll only obtain it if you meet the requirements by yourself.


If an American citizen who’s over 21 wishes to apply for a residence card for his or her parents, he or she must meet the following requirements:

  • Having enough income to sponsor them.
  • Signing either an affidavit of support or a pledge of financial support from his or her parents.
  • It’s also necessary that the parent who wants to get this benefit isn’t engaged in any circumstances that may cause the denial of the permanent residence card application.