Each year, millions of people choose the Diversity Visa Program in the United States, known as the Green Card Lottery. They do so, hoping to be granted one of the 50,000 immigrant visas offered to people around the world.

Here are some of the most common questions about the Green Card Lottery:

What Is the Diversity Visa Program?

This program is known as the Green Card Lottery, and allows applicants from countries with low rates of immigration in the United States to have the opportunity to work permanently in the country.

How Many Diversity Visas Are Issued Each Year?

The Diversity Visa Program has a limit of 55,000 immigrant visas per year. 50,000 of these visas are assigned to the Green Card Lottery. The rest of the visas are assigned to work visa applicants or students.

When Can I Apply?

Registration for the Diversity Visa Program coincides with the beginning of the fiscal year of the government. It is important to take the date on which the process ends into account, since there are no extensions.

Is There a Registration Fee?

There is no registration fee for the Green Card Lottery, but the applicant should be aware that there are normal processing costs to be covered in the event that one is selected.

Do I need to Hire a Lawyer to Register for the Lottery?

Applying for the Green Card is very simple, and can be performed without legal advice. But you may want to ask a lawyer for advice; because, if you make mistakes, your application may be denied.

How Long Does the Process Take?

Once registration is complete, things are very fast. It takes about five to nine months to find out if you are a winner.

How Will You Know if the Person Is a Lottery Winner?

Those selected will receive a notification and a direct link.

Can I Confirm that I Won the Green Card Lottery?

Right after the DV-2010 selection, applicants can check their registration status online.

Can I Become a US Citizen?

Yes, through naturalization, permanent residents become American, provided they meet certain requirements, such as continuous residence in the U.S. for five years (three if married to an American).

Online Process

You can apply online on the United States Department of State‘s website.