The TN visa allows Mexicans to accept a job offer in the United States. It is therefore important that the immigrant has an adequate professional level and possesses a university degree or a license that certifies his or her years of experience.
However, not all professions qualify for the TN visa. The following list will show you which professions and degrees are eligible:
Professions that require a university degree:
- Research assistants (for work in colleges and universities)
- Landscape architect
- Guidance counselor
- Urban planner
- Professor (only at universities, colleges or seminars) for teachers: J-1 or M-1 visa.
- Forestry expert
- Recreational therapist
- Social worker
Scientists also have the opportunity to apply for a TN visa but they must be:
- Scientists specialized in animals
- Soil scientists
- Poultry specialists
- Specialists in dairy products
- Specialists in animal reproduction
- Plant breeder
- Plant pathologists
- Recreational therapists
- Lawyer (university degree or member of the bar association of Mexico, the U.S. or Canada).
- Actuary (college degree or credential).
- Loss adjuster (training plus a degree or three years of experience).
- Computer analyst (university degree, post high school diploma or post secondary school certificate plus three years of experience).
- Architect (university degree or license)
- Management consultant (university degree or five years of experience)
- Dentist (license or professional degree)
- Dietitians (university degree or license)
- Interior designer (university degree, certificate or diploma plus three years of experience)
- Graphic designer (university degree or diploma after high school plus three years of experience)
- Industrial designer (university degree, certificate or diploma plus three years of experience)
- Nurse (registered nurses with a degree or license).
- Writer of technical publications (degree or diploma or certificate plus three years of experience).
- Pharmacist (degree or license).
- Hotel manager (degree or diploma or certificate plus three years of experience).
- Ranger (university degree or license).
- Engineer (university degree or license).
- Physician (MD or license, but only to teach or work in research). To work as doctors they must fulfill other requirements.
- Psychologist (degree or license).
- Medical laboratory technologist (university degree or certificate or diploma plus three years of work).
- Physical therapist (degree or license).
- Occupational therapist (university degree or license).
- Topographer (university degree or license).
- Veterinarian (professional degree or license).
Cases in which no degree or certification or license is required:
Science technicians do not need a degree, a certification or a license as long as they are working with professionals in the fields of astronomy, biology, agricultural sciences, engineering, geology, geophysics, physics, meteorology, chemistry or Forestry.
The procedures to apply for a TN visa are different from any other visa procedures. Even for Canadians, who can also benefit from these visas under the Free Trade Agreement between Mexico, U.S.A. and Canada, the process is not the same. As a matter of fact, the TN visas where created as a result from this agreement.
In order to apply for a TN visa, having a job offer in the United States is a fundamental requirement. Self-employment is not a valid qualification.