Yes. The Parole in Place or PIP is an unusual way to get a Green Card. However, it’s possible, especially if the undocumented migrants are immediate relatives of citizens who serve in the U.S. Armed Forces.

PIP Details

As usual, you must meet certain requirements:

  1. Being qualified by immigration laws within the category of immediate relative of a U.S. citizen. This refers to: spouse, parent, unmarried child under 21.
  1. The person interested in obtaining the PIP must be present in the United States. This doesn’t apply to people who are in another country.
  1. The undocumented migrant for which the PIP is requested should be a direct relative of a member of the Armed Forces. The latter, in turn, should be active in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces (Reservists, National Guards, or Veterans).

Applying for the PIP

  1. Request the PIP. Once approved, you have to:
  2. Request the adjustment of status.

The following documents are required:

  • The I-131 form properly filled. The document is called Application for Travel Document. (No fees).
  • Evidence of the family relationship between the immigrant and the member of the Armed Forces (marriage certificate, birth certificate, military ID, DEERS, etc.) Send a legible copy, not the original.
  • Evidence that the citizen is truly a member of the Armed Forces (a photocopy of both sides of the military identification card).
  • Proof that the member of the Armed Forces is truly an American citizen.
  • Two identical passport-size photos of the immigrant.
  • Documents that prove that the personal information given is true.

What Can Happen When a PIP Is Requested?

The PIP is granted in very exceptional cases. Nevertheless, by order of the government of the United States, since November 2013, it’s granted in most cases to those who are immediate family members (spouses, parents or children) of a soldier, a reservist or a veteran.

NOTE: It’s necessary that the immigrant for which it is requested not have a criminal record or other inadmissibility issues.