medic-hospital-laboratory-medical-40559-largePeople who need medical treatment in the United States must have a nonimmigrant visa. What are the options?

  1. First possibility: the tourist visa.

When you need medical treatment in the United States, you must enter the country holding a B-2 or “tourist” visa.

It’s important to be clear about the duration of stay that this visa grants you. It’s generally six months from the moment that you enter the country.

Should you need more time, an extension must be requested.

What is the B2 Visa?

A B-1 / B-2 is a nonimmigrant visa, and it’s the most requested permission to enter the U.S.  It’s for people who want to visit the country temporarily for business or pleasure.  S

Some of the activities permitted on a  B-1 / B-2 visa are:

  • Go on vacation
  • Visit family members
  • Attend a business meeting
  • Participate in a job training
  • Receive medical treatment
  • Make an independent investigation
  • Do missionary work
  1. Second possibility: enter as a tourist without a visa for a non-extendable maximum of 90 days.

To do this, you must be a citizen of one of the thirty countries that belong to the Visa Waiver Program.

The Visa Waiver Program allows citizens of 37 participating countries to travel to the United States for tourism or business for up to 90 days without requiring a visa.