The B2 visa was created for foreigners who travel to the United States for short visits (for tourism, for example). It is an essential requisite for almost all the immigrants who want to go to the country.

There are certain exceptions, of course. Mexicans or residents in Mexico who live near the border have a laser visa; foreigners who live in Canada, foreigners who are part of the Global Entry program and foreigners with a passport from one of the countries included in the Visa Waiver program may enter the United States without a B2 visa.

Once the immigrant gets the visa and is allowed to travel with it or even live for a short period of time in the U.S.A. (up to six months), it is very important not to lose it. However, if such a thing happens, what can one do?

First, do not panic. Then, follow these steps in order to solve the problem:

  1. Turn immediately to the authorities. As soon as you are sure that you have lost your visa, you must go to the nearest police station and file a complaint. Make sure you have a copy of the report, because you may need it for later requests or statements.
  1. Once the report has been placed, you must go to the Department of Homeland Security, and request the replacement of the visa.
  1. Afterward, contact the embassy of your country in the U.S.A., and report the loss of your visa.
  1. You have to report it to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad, as well.
  1. If, after you have made the report, you later find your misplaced visa, this one will be invalid.

Tourists who lose their visa are allowed to stay in the United States until the date written on the document.


Foreigners who hold a B2 visa are allowed to live for a short period in the United States. However, under no circumstances are they allowed to work or to enroll in school/university; otherwise, the visa will be revoked.