Anyone who wants to work in the United States needs a visa. Professionals in: science, sports, the arts, education, business, the Film and Television are able to obtain a work visa for their special skills.

In order to obtain a work visa, it is necessary  a company or an agent that is willing to hire the foreigner applicant.

You can start the procedure from abroad or from the United States, as long as the foreigner applying for visa is legally in the country and has not come without a visa.

In any case, if the visa is approved, it must be sent to their country or to a third party to collect the visa at the Embassy or consulate.

O VISA types:

1. O-1A: individuals with an extraordinary ability in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (not including the arts, motion pictures or television industry)

2. O-1B, for people with extraordinary talent in the film industry, television or in the arts. Artists must prove that they have achieved “distinction” in at least one of these fields. There must be proof that they are known and outstanding talents in addition to have an excellent reputation.

There is also a group of derivative visas:

a. O-2: individuals who will accompany an O-1, artist or athlete, to assist in a specific event or performance.  For an O-1A, the O-2’s assistance must be an “integral part” of the O-1A’s activity. The O-2 worker has critical skills and experience with the O-1 that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker and which are essential to the successful performance of the O-1. These visas are given only in sports and artistic fields.

b. O-3: individuals who are the spouse or children of O-1’s and O-2’s. During the stay in the U.S., they can’t work with it.

The O visa is initially granted for three years. Then it’s renewed annually. In theory, it can be renewed without limit until the end of the working activity of its holder.

Beltran Brito LLP assists in fulfilling the immigration needs of the entertainment & sport industries by obtaining record numbers of temporary work visas and Green Cards for Actors, Directors, Producers, Writers, Singers, Musicians, Music Groups, Recording Artists, Painters, Sculptors and other artists

Related Post