If you are an immigrant who obtained the Green Card in the United States and lost it or had it stolen while outside of the country, you should know that there are a series of steps that can help you avoid a headache when you return to the country.

The first thing you must do is to file a formal complaint or report your card as stolen or lost. Once you have done


this, you must go to the Embassy of the United States in the country you are at the moment, and request a boarding card known as “Boarding Foil”. Without this document, you will not be able to return to the United States.

What are the requirements to obtain a Boarding Foil?

  • Bringing with you the complaint you filed before the police reporting your Green Card as lost or stolen.
  • Presenting a valid passport. In order to do this, it is advisable that the passport should bear seals of prior entrances into the United States as a resident.
  • Passport pictures. These must be in color, on a white background, and current.
  • An evidence of your being outside of the United States for a period of less than a year, such as plane tickets.

Proceedings for a Boarding Foil may take a while – even some days, depending on the embassy. Once it has been proven that you are a legal permanent resident, your card will be handed to you.

It is important to take into account that this card has a limited validity and will expiry 30 days after its issuance. Thus, if you do not return to the United States within that period of time, this travel document will lose its validity and you will have to request it one more time.

Duplicate of the residency card

It is absolutely necessary that you file for a new residency card once you are back in the United States. You will be charged for it.

Related Post